#SOUTHEASTLOVE SPOTLIGHT: WABA
WABA has a 40-year history of successful advocacy in the D.C. region. We depend on our members and supporters to help us demonstrate the need for better bicycling in the District of Columbia; Montgomery, Prince George’s, Fairfax, Arlington counties; and the city of Alexandria.
Here’s what we’re working on right now:
1. Vision Zero – accountability in DC, Montgomery County and Alexandria (which have all committed to Vision Zero and have or are creating action plans) and pushing other jurisdictions to make similar commitments.
2. Building low-stress networks of protected bike lanes and trails
- We launched the Capital Trails Coalition in the fall of 2015, which is working to connect, and build out / improve the region’s network of trails.
- Our action committees are working on these campaigns to get protected bike lanes or trails built in Prince George’s County, Arlington, and Montgomery County.
- We’re tracking infrastructure improvement projects throughout the region – organizing our members to participate in the public feedback comment and design process (a long list of projects – some highlights are Eastern Downtown, Downtown West, Florida Ave, New York Ave, Alabama Ave, Grant and Sherman Circles, K and Water Street, Met Branch Trail, Rock Creek Park Trail, I-66 Trail)
3. Enacting laws and policies that protect bicyclists
- Holding DC accountable to enforcing its Safe Accommodations Policy
- Vision Zero implementing regulations
- Recent victories:
- Long-term Advocacy Priorities – Learn more about our list of 10 advocacy priorities that guide our work.
- Current Campaigns – Follow and get involved with our local campaigns.
- Past Campaigns and Historic Victories – See highlights from WABA’s 40 years of advocacy efforts.
Have comments, suggestions, or questions about WABA’s advocacy work? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.