#SOUTHEASTLOVE Spotlight: The Meditation Center
The David Lynch Foundation helps to prevent and eradicate the all-pervasive epidemic of trauma and toxic stress among at-risk populations through promoting widespread implementation of the evidence-based Transcendental Meditation (TM) program in order to improve their health, cognitive capabilities and performance in life.
Working in partnership with an international network of specially trained instructors, the David Lynch Foundation will be a global catalyst for the adoption of the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program by individuals and institutions by:
- Establishing mainstream understanding of the effects of Transcendental Meditation among government, health, education, media, and business leaders, as well as the general public
- Raising funds to implement TM pilot programs in institutions that serve at-risk populations
- Ensuring the institutional implementation of the TM program on a national and international basis
- Funding independent research on the TM program to more profoundly understand the wide-ranging effects of the technique on the brain, health and behavior
The David Lynch Foundation helps to prevent and eliminate the epidemic of truama and toxic stress among at-risk populations through Transcendental Meditation (TM). The Meditation Center @ THEARC (Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Campus) was established to serve youth (ages 10+), adults and seniors, providing Transcendental Meditation education to the redidents of Wards 7 & 8, as well as those served through THEARC non-profit partners. The Meditation Center will further THEARC's mission of improving the quality of life for children and adults who reside east of the Anacostia River and revitalization of the community in southeastern Washington, D.C.
What is Transcendental Meditation (TM)?
- Simple, natural, effortless technique
- 20 minutes, twice a day
- Practiced sitting comfortably with the eyes closed
- Not a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle
- No special tools needed
- What Happens When You Meditate?
- Transcendental Meditation allows the active thinking mind to settle inward
- Experience a naturally calm, peaceful level of awareness
- Spontaneously experience quieter levels of thought
- Enjoy rejuvenating rest of the mind and body
- Transcendental Meditation Benefits
- Reduced stress, anger, and depression
- Lower blood pressure, decreased high cholesterol and 48% reduction in heart attack and stroke
- Increased focus
- Improved sleep
- Twice the effectiveness of conventional approaches for reducing alcoholism and substance abuse
- Reduced flashbacks and bad memories
- Improved relationships and quality of life
- How Do You Learn Transcendental Meditation?
- TM is taught in a personal course of instruction by a specially-trained, certified teacher.
- TM Course Fee at THEARC
Our goal and commitment as a resident partner at THEARC is to make the TM technique available to everyone within the Ward 7 & 8 communities, including family and friends of THEARC and its agency partners. Course instruction costs are on a sliding scale based on household income.