Help Wanted: PT Office Assistant
Position: Office Assistant
Reports to: Regional Director - DC
Classification: Part Time/Non-exempt
Location: Washington, DC
About the David Lynch Foundation
The David Lynch Foundation (DLF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, founded in 2005. Our mission is to reduce the epidemic of trauma and toxic stress among at-risk populations through the implementation of the evidence-based Transcendental Meditation technique. DLF has served more than 500,000 children and adults worldwide, with a focus on underserved middle and high school students, veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress and their families, and women and children dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault. DLF also works with those in recovery, the homeless, prison populations, people living with HIV/AIDS, and others. In addition, DLF offers programs for companies and government agencies, the proceeds of which help support our mission-directed programs.
What is Transcendental Meditation?
Transcendental Meditation (TM) is a simple, easily-learned, evidence-based technique, practiced for 20 minutes twice a day, sitting comfortably in a chair with the eyes closed. During TM, the body gains a profound state of rest and relaxation while the mind is wide awake and the brain functions with increased coherence. More than 350 peer-reviewed studies verify the physiological and psychological benefits of Transcendental Meditation for reducing stress and stress-related disorders, including hypertension, anxiety, depression, and insomnia, while increasing creativity, energy, intelligence, and focus.
In November 2017, the David Lynch Foundation became the newest resident partner on the campus of the Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Center (THEARC), located in Ward 8. Known as “The Meditation Center at THEARC”, these offices will support the mission of the David Lynch Foundation by making the TM technique available to the residents in the Wards 7 and 8 communities, both directly and through the partners at THEARC. This is a new and critical position as we build the team and programming necessary through daily office management of THEARC office and TMC.
The Office Assistant will be responsible for the management of The Meditation Center at THEARC through daily tasks to include the following:
· Provide administrative and scheduling support for the DLF Regional Director and other staff in TMC
· Handle incoming calls and other communications.
· Create and manage filing system.
· Record information as needed. (WHAT INFORMATION, FOR EXAMPLE?)
· Assist the Regional Director and other teachers of TM in the scheduling and execution of both TM Introductory lectures, and TM courses.
· Greet clients and visitors as needed.
· Update paperwork, maintain supply of documents, forms, brochures and collateral.
· Maintain office common areas.
· Perform general office assistant duties and errands.
· Coordinate and assist with events as necessary.
· Maintain supply inventory and office equipment as needed.
· Assist with the promotion of The Meditation Center activities and introductory talks.
- Be a liaison between The Meditation Center and THEARC Facilities.
- Be a liaison between The Meditation Center and NY offices of the DLF.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
· 2 or 4 year college degree.
· Minimum three (3) years experience as an office or program assistant or in a related field.
· Familiarity with Wards 7 or 8 or in community building, a plus.
· Ability to write clearly and help with word processing when necessary.assist with materials composition as necessary
· Warm personality with strong communication verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to work well under limited supervision.
Competencies (to be assessed during interview process and further developed as an employee)
· Thinking critically
· Organizing and planning
· Commitment to mission
· Building relationships
· Emotional intelligence
· Driving execution
Please email cover letter and resume in pdf format (job title in subject area) to